TransPhotoTransPhotoUrban Electric Transit
Poland  
Dolnośląskie

Jelenia Góra

Hirschberg im Riesengebirge

Editor: Lada 2101.

Report a mistake on this page  ·  Changes in the Database

Comments: all · tramway · trolleybus

Chronology

01.05.1969 Last day of tram operation in Jelenia Góra.
31.12.1964 Closure of the suburban track to Podgórzyn Górny.
20.05.1914 Opening of the suburban tram line to Obergiersdorf (Podgórzyn Górny).
04.02.1900 Opening of the electric tramway lines to Jägerkaserne and Bad Warmbrunn (Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój) with 1000 mm gauge.
07.11.1899 Closure of the gas tramway lines.
All Entries

Quick Vehicle Search

Number:

Photos By Route

Route:

Tramway Facilities / Operators


Trolleybus Facilities / Operators

U Trolejbus
projekt niezrealizowany 1944/1945 • non-realized project 1944/1945
list of the models
vehicles without photos



Information

city arms of Jelenia Góra

Jelenia Góra (German: Hirschberg im Riesengebirge) is a city in South Western Poland, located in Dolnośląskie (Lower Silezian) region. The population of the city is today about 84.000 inhabitants.

There is no electric transport any more in Jelenia Góra but there were different kinds of it in the history of the city. The era began in 1897 when opened a tramway system powered by gas trams on 1435 mm gauge in Jelenia Góra. The city was one of only a few cities in the world with a worked gas tram system. But because of low efficiency the gas tram closed already in 1899 and was dismantled. The tramway company called Hirschberger Thalbahn GmbH wanted to reopen the tramway system in Jelenia Góra by operating with electric cars. A new depot was built in Jelenia Góra-Mallinik South West of the city The opening of the electric tramway on narrow gauge of 1000 mm was in February 1900 with a track which followed the old gas tram route from the central station to Jelenia Góra-Mallinik. An extension of this track to Hermsdorf (Sobieszów) went in service in April 1900. In 1911 and 1914 a new track to Obergiersdorf (Podgórzyn Górny) was opened which branched off from the standard track in Bad Warmbrunn (Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój).

After the Second World War the tram operation was served under the new Polish name Kolej Elektryczna w Jeleniej Górze and reopened only a few days after the end of the war in 1945. In the 1950s and 60s new Polish made 2-axle tram cars were delivered built in the factory of Konstal. The track to Podgórzyn was closed in 1964, that one to Sobieszów one year later. In May 1969 the last part of the track between the main railway station Jelenia Góra and Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój was closed finally and dismantled.

Today we can not find tracks oft he tram any more. There are still some rosetts of the overhead wires in the centre of Jelenia Góra and on the street in Podgórzyn still exist some metall-made pylons of the former tram which are now used for the street lighting. There are three tram monuments consistig of Konstal 2-axle motor cars in the city. One is located on the central market place (Rynek) and is used as a kiosk and information centre. The second one normally stands in front of the today bus depot at ulica Wolności street. But in 2016 it went into the depot and waits there for a needed renovation. The third monument stands at the former tram terminus in Podgórzyn Górny and is reachable by MZK bus line No. 4.

In 1945 the Germans planned to install a trolleybus line instead of the tram network. The route should connect the railway station with Cieplice Śląskie-Zdrój. The overhead wire was already installed along the track but was never used by trolleybusses and dismantled already in 1946. The plans of a trolleybus network came again in the 1960s when replacing the tram system completely but never were realized.

Active Photographers of the City

1st place: tomwoj777 — 3 photos
2nd place: Lada 2101 — 3 photos
3rd place: Jacek M. — 1 photos

Full list of photographers

   

Random Photo

6

New Photos